Feb 23, 2013

things that say a lot about people...


the way in which they treat the waiter/waitress
how they feel about the weather
whether they dog ear pages or highlight in books
fingernails
and hands in general
their preferred creative outlet
how much they dread/enjoy talking on the phone
whether or not they drink coffee
if they ever forget to eat
how honest they are with themselves (and others)
if they correct your grammar
and whether or not they get nervous before haircuts.

i. I don't often eat out; it is a rare treat. But when I do, the soft lighting, the smiles across the table, the yummy food and good conversation tend to catch me and it feels precious. I always smile, and say 'thank you' when the waitress takes our plates. 'She can't be more than 14...' I think. A girl who is close in age to me, is waiting on tables, who is polite and serves me with grace deserves a quiet 'thank you' and a warm smile. That one small thing can brighten up her day! 

ii. I crave warm, sunny,  days as much as I crave cold, bitter, ones. The weather is reflected in my mood. I can snuggle up with a good book and a hot mug of tea when it is wet and chilly, and I can bask in the sunlight when it is balmy and warm. The feeling of the wind in my face refreshes and makes me feel more alive and the steady drumming of rain on a tin roof makes me feel content. The weather is who i am, and who i can be. 

iii. Opening up a book is like stepping into a whole new world; a utopia of fantasy and friendship. The characters become my close friends and the pages are my hideaway. The strong, musty, scent and the yellowing pages ripe with age; can it get any better than that? When I read a book I leave my print there, the dog eared corners or the tiny rip at the edge, it is all me. 

iv. I have dirt underneath my fingers and chipped nail polish on my nails. By the end of the day my fingers are covered in black or blue ink. My nails suffer the consequences of too much hot, soapy, water and nervous chewing, but I love the strong smell of nail polish and I love giving my nails a quick swipe before going out. Red, light pink, and soft blue, I love all these colours on my nails.  

v. I love watching people who talk with their hands. Their voice and their eyes speak to me, but their hands tell the story. When I talk, my hands are often clasped behind my back or stuffed into the pockets of my jeans. Every time i write a letter, use some glue, or bake in the kitchen, my hands are no longer white and clean. I don't have pretty hands, I just talk with them, embrace with them, laugh with them, and create things with them. 

vi. I dance, I sing, I write, I photography and I bake. I crave adventure. The world is mine for the taking, and I am putting my own print on it. 

vii. Long phone conversations with my friends is one of my weaknesses. We laugh, talk constantly, and jump from one crazy topic to the next. I hang up, I want to actually see your face. I want to be with you and have our long conversation over a warm cup of coffee. Lets organize this, lets chat without a phone separating your face from mine. :) 

viii. There is nothing more wonderful then the smell of coffee brewing in the pot. The Saturday morning scent that wakes me from my sleep and drags my tired  self from the warm sheets of my bed. White please with one sugar and a hot croissant on the side, but only as a special treat. 

ix. "one can not think well, love well, and sleep well if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf. 

x. If you confide something to me, I will hide that secret away from the world because it is not my secret...but yours. 

xi. Grammar and me don't get along. I use lower case letters when I should be using upper case. I put a 'full stop' when there should be a comer, but this is me, my grammar isn't perfect... and neither am i. 

xii. When I was eight years old, I got all my long, dark brown curls, chopped off and replaced with a classy,  and straight bob. Now, I have long hair and I love it. I put it up and I let it hang down. The way a do my hair reflects how I am feeling. 

Briony xo






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful...I love the way you've expressed yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about your hands. <3
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!