Mar 8, 2012

Berry, Almond & Yoghurt Muffins // in the kitchen





We have an open plan, walk-through kitchen. It's scratched bench top houses the beginnings of many fantastic meals. When one bakes in this kitchen, one does not have to be excluded from the rest of the family's activities. I can bake, cook and interact all at the same time. Perhaps that is what makes cooking such an enjoyable experience, the interaction. That is what I am going to miss the most about this house, the family kitchen.

Yesterday, I baked something new and different, something my family and I would call a "special treat": Berry, Almond and Yoghurt Muffins. Unlike our kitchen, this recipe does not have a story. They are new and different to me, untouched territory. Only fitting since we are moving to a new home, no? Anyway, these muffins began when I had a burst of inspiration, an inspiration to bake! So, after picking one of my favourite recipe books, I turned to the 'Sweets' page. I skipped all the old recipes, I felt like something different, something fresh, then this particular recipe caught my eye. Perhaps it was because of the strange combination of almonds and yogurt, or perhaps because of the playful image embedded below the recipe? I am not sure, but none-the-less I began baking!

The mixing, the mess and the miscellaneous ingredients were whisked, stirred, and measured correctly (despite one lick, or maybe two), then popped into a muffin tray. After sprinkling flaked almonds over the surface of the gooey batter, I shoved them into the oven. Despite my trying to be a tidy chef I am hardly that at all! Instead of 'messy', I prefer to call it 'rustic', if you will.

Berry, Almond and Yoghurt Muffins


(Makes 12)


185g (6 1/2 oz/1 1/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour 


3 teaspoons baking powder


115g (4 oz/1 cup) ground almonds 


185g (4 1/2 oz/1 cup) caster (superfine) sugar 


2 eggs


125g (4 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, melted, cooled


250g (9 oz/1 cup) plain (all-purpose) yogurt 


300g (10 1/2 oz) berries of your own choosing 


2 tablespoons flaked almonds


Method: 


1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease 12 standard muffin holes.


2. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in ground almonds and sugar. Make well in centre. 


3. Put the eggs, melted butter and`yoghurt in a bowl, whisk and pour into well. Fold gently until well combined-the batter should be lumpy. 


4. Fold in the berries. Divide the mixture among the muffin holes. Top each muffin with flaked almonds.


5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. 

5 comments:

  1. These look so good! Love the way you photograph your food, btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous pictures; and it looks simply delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look great! Your photography is amazing, Katie!!!

    ~Bri

    p.s. My giveaway ends next week! http://diamondsandpearls98.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/50-followers-giveaway-12-prizes-to-be.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! what an interesting combination...yes, i'm going to miss your kitchen too : (

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so so so yummy. And I "ditto" the top two comments. :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!