Sep 2, 2011

"The word 'Delicious' is an understatement." Says I.

There are many foods that I love. In fact, my Mother used to say that as a baby, I would eat anything. I loved tomato, avocado, banana, apple, orange, (chicken of the sea-family joke), pizza, rice, cake, chocolate, carrot, lettuce, bread, beans and biscuits. The only two things I did not eat until the age of ten were cooked mushrooms and broccoli. I hated them. Every time we bought pizza, I would pick off all the mushrooms. I thought they looked gross, and were squishy. As for broccoli, it looked like a tree and tasted funny. Of course, I eat these things now. I would be considered a brat if I did not. Imagine me, a teenage girl who is remarkably tall for her age sulking over her mushrooms and broccoli. Of, course, now that I am older my diet is not as limited as it once was. I love hot curries, cakes filled with freshly whipped cream, satay chicken and my favourite treat is Anzac biscuits.





Anzac biscuits. An oaty, sugary, crunchy combination that sustained the Australian and the New Zealand soldiers for months on end during World War Two. Rolling the warm, sticky batter into balls then sinking your teeth into the dark brown treat still hot from the oven is delightful. My Nan has a whole jar full of these biscuits. She makes them for my Gumpy who loves them and eats two at once! When we visit her, she will often (without Gumpy knowing of course) bring the jar out of the pantry and say softly, "Come on kids, come and get a cookie!"




Most baking days (which of the late seems almost every day) the scent of these little beauties is wafting throughout our kitchen. Sitting down with a good book, hot cuppa and an Anzac cookie is relaxing and makes the perfect rainy-day-combination.

Try one yourself! Us Aussie don't just eat sausages and cheese. ☺

* Ingredients *

90g rolled oats
50g shredded coconut
150g plain flour
165g Castor sugar
125g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* Directions *

Preheat your oven to 160?C. Line a couple of large baking trays with baking paper and set aside. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the oats, coconut, flour and sugar. Put the butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan over low heat and warm them, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the boiling water and bicarbonate of soda and stir them in briefly. Pour this buttery liquid into the oat mixture along with the vanilla extract. Quickly stir the two together until they’re thoroughly combined. Roll the dough into small balls, then flatten slightly. Sit about 5cm apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are deep golden brown but still soft, then remove them from the oven. Leave them to cool on the trays for a few minutes, then carefully transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!

-Katie

4 comments:

  1. *mouth waters*
    that looks amazing! :DDD I want some. ;)

    who designed your blog? It's super pretty!

    xx,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, I've never heard of those, but they look delish. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Anzac biscuits look good! I might have to try that sometime. :)

    I've done the same thing too! Whenever we got a Supreme pizza, I would always pick out the chopped vegetables because (to me) there were "icky". (To this day I still can't stand eating raw mushrooms and olives. :p)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! i'm remember eating them at your house last time we came over : )
    by the way, love your new design! it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!