Sep 13, 2011

the weekend

 
This weekend I traveled back in time...

I have been to I have been to the roman empire and visited Greece and traveled to Italy to sit in the crowded Colosseum and watch two skillful gladiators fight until the death!

I journeyed to the medieval times and seen gallant knights in shining armor rescue the damsel in distress from the fiery dragon!

I have traveled to an Indian Castle where the air smells of rich perfumes and spices and where the sound of many bare feet climbing up endless flights of steps never ceases.

I have been to France during the French Revolution and have watched helpless Lords and Ladies dragged toward the dreaded guillotine and be mocked my the crowds watching.

I journeyed to the Regency Era and watched many young ladies such as Miss Lizzie Bennett pushed to marry a rich lord. But nobody could take that horrible pig Mr Darcy!

I have seen the finery of the dresses owned by the rich ladies who lived in the Victorian Era. I have seen how their skirts swish as they waltz around the ball room and how the fan themselves with delicate fans lined with soft lace.

I have even meet Beatrix Potter and other fine ladies from the late 1800s who pride themselves on being lady-like and talking about the weather.

I have traveled back in time.

Well, maybe not quite. My sister and I were invited to a birthday party themed: Dresses from before the 20th century. With fifteen girls going you can imagine just how much fun we had all dressed up in our finery! All the periods in history shown above are what most of the girls came dressed from. It was so much fun.


Back row from the left:  Sarah, Abbey, India, Me, Elizabeth, Courtney, Mackenzie. Middle Row from left: Rebbecca, Cassie, Brianna, Lauren, Annie. Front row from left: Imogen, Elsie, Holly (the birthday girl), Eloise and Laura. Photo credit goes to Mr.A.



My younger sister Laura thought it would be a great idea if we all pretend to look sullen and cross like the people did way back when cameras were only just invented. We gave it a shot and tried not to laugh. I ruined one by cracking up laughing because we all looked so stupid. Although, I think we pulled it off rather nicely I dare say.


Every time somebody brought out a camera all the girls would rush to be in the photo. By the end of the night, we had some rather interesting photographs of some crazy young ladies.


Photo credit goes to Holly.

          
              I apologize for the quality of some of the following photos. My camera hates low light.







                                                  Cake time! Which means group photo.


                                                     It was such an enjoyable time! I loved it.

-Katie

6 comments:

  1. hahahaha. that party was SO much fun!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you girls had a blast! :) Beautiful work with the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a party! Love the dresses.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was my party! i had so much fun and will remember this blessed time with you all : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) :) :) I loved it! All our costumes were so awesome! Heaps of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome party theme!! I'd love to 'have to' make a dress like this!!!! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!