Nov 11, 2010

"I've never seen you this confident..."

Those were the words of my piano teacher two weeks ago when she was giving me my lesson.

I've been learning piano for almost three years now. It never seemed a very enjoyable experience for me, somehow, I didn't find it fun. I wanted to be able to play beautiful music in a flash. I wanted to learn the songs without any difficulty what so ever. I'm not a very patient person.

On days when I should have been practicing I was watching TV, reading a good book or blogging. I never really new my notes very well. I couldn't name one straight away, I had to think, look very hard at the printing on the paper, almost squint my eyes until I guessed the note hoping it would be right. 50% of the time, I guessed wrong.

It was like this until my teacher asked me a question one day I didn't really want to answer, "Do you practice much Bri?" I looked at my teacher, looked at the ground feeling a bit guilty. "I...I guess not as much as I should but I practice sometimes."  I hoped this answer would be convincing.  "Yes, well at your age I would expect you to at least know your notes."  I knew this was true. My teacher then said, " Well if you get onto to musicards.net, it should really help you. I nodded. After my lesson was over, I thanked her and promised there would be improvement.

That week I did as she said and went onto music cards. I found learning my notes from flash-cards weren't so hard after all. It felt good to be able to actually recognize the notes instead of staring blankly at the sheet of music and still not understanding the strange signs and lines. I was soon becoming more and more confident in myself.

Each day I went on music-cards. Piano was slowly yet surely becoming more clear to me. That week I went to my lesson with a smile on my face and a heart full of self esteem. I tell you what, it sure bet feeling depressed.

 I don't know my notes perfectly but I'm slowly making progress.I am probably never going to be a famous pianist but being able to play well is all I'm asking for and I'm going to get there.

If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it.”  
~ Jessica Jackson


Confidence is extremely important.
.

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! I'm still learning to read all the notes but I'm getting there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find myself blogging when i should be practicing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bri
    It's so cool that you are learning the piano as well! I find it hard to remember the notes to! Especially in the base cords! Sounds like you are doing great with playing the piano and with confidence! Awesome post!
    Your cousin - xox :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!! I wish I could here you play.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!